Creating an engaged, inclusive, and rigorous classroom requires that all students feel seen, valued, and heard. Cold Call is a critical technique to building such a culture. This session trains teachers in the technique of Cold Call in three sections:
- Fundamentals of Cold Call: This section of the Plug and Play invests teachers in why Cold Calling is important in the classroom and equips teachers with techniques for effectively using Cold Call to build student engagement and deepen student thinking.
- Making Cold Call Positive and Inclusive: In this section, teachers practice and discuss techniques that ensure Cold Call is used in a positive way to build a strong academic classroom culture.
- Using Cold Call with Intentionality: This section equips teachers with strategies to Cold Call intentionally by gathering student data first.
Through analysis of master teachers’ techniques and deep practice, participants in the session will develop understanding and strengthen skills with:
- Rolling Out (or Relaunching) Cold Call in their classrooms
- Considering when to use more or less Wait Time during Cold Calls to allow for deeper thinking or adjust pacing
- Emphasizing the positivity of Cold Call
- Building and sustaining a strong Culture of Error to support students when they struggle with Cold Call
Our goal is for you to save time that you would otherwise spend creating a PD session from scratch and dive deep into the small concrete actions that advance your teachers’ skills from good to great. The Plug and Play provides you with:
- A fully customizable PowerPoint presentation with embedded videos of Cold Call in action
- Facilitator notes for what to say and do for each slide
- Detailed analysis of 9 video clips spanning all grade bands
- Carefully designed practice activities
- Participant handouts for interactive note taking
- Next steps to ensure what’s learned in the session carries over to classrooms
100 LEVEL: NO PREREQUISITES
This module can be used by any school. It does not require leader experience with or school-wide implementation of Teach Like a Champion 3.0 techniques.