Join the Teach Like a Champion Team to learn our most up-to-date guidance on reading and writing instruction. This practice-intensive workshop provides instructional leaders with materials and guidance to deliver high quality training on literacy instruction and provides teachers with tools to implement research-based literacy instructional practices with their students, both with the goal of driving literacy results in schools.
This workshop is designed to help teachers and leaders learn more about high quality literacy instruction based on the Science of Reading and Learning. As part of the two-day training, facilitators will share research related to fluency, background knowledge, attention, belonging, and deliberate practice, as well as support participants in considering practical applications of this research that will support student literacy achievement.
YOU WILL GAIN:
- An understanding of a variety of instructional techniques based on scientific research that support students in becoming college ready readers
- A framework for analyzing text complexity and selecting texts beyond Lexile levels
- An understanding of leading effective Professional Development and practice for teachers
WE WILL ANALYZE AND PRACTICE:
- Ways of Reading—How to maximize the amount of reading students do and how to balance the use of shared oral and silent reading to create joyful cultures of reading and belonging.
- Knowledge Building and Tools—How to build background knowledge in literacy classes and leverage it to support comprehension and analysis
- Vocabulary—How to effectively teach new vocabulary and reinforce vocabulary acquisition during reading
- Writing for Reading—How to leverage the synergies between three types of academic writing to prepare students to be excellent writers as well as readers
- Close Reading and Text Complexity– How to support students in establishing and analyzing meaning in texts that are sufficiently rigorous and complex
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
Schools that purchase the Implementation Toolkit License will receive a link to download copies of all workshop materials, as well as additional training materials, including:
- Full description of all techniques, methods, and practice activities covered in the training
- PowerPoint slides used in the workshop
- Access to over 50 clips and analysis talking points that demonstrate Reading Reconsidered techniques in action
- Additional clips with complete talking points
- School-wide and individual PD activities to help leaders train teachers
- Aligned coaching tools and other materials to maximize teacher development
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Our workshops are a “Train the Trainer” model. We typically recommend this workshop for teachers, literacy specialists, and leaders grades 2-12. Schools usually send a team of two to five instructional leaders and teachers so that they have a cadre of teachers and leaders who are prepared to turnkey this training back at their schools and organizations.
- Training Fee: $1,000 per person for two full days of training
- Implementation toolkit license fee: $1,000 per school for materials (optional), with signed license agreement.