To ensure all students succeed academically, champion teachers deliver instruction that maximizes Ratio—boosting the number of students who actively participate and the depth of the thinking they do. Join Doug Lemov and the Teach Like a Champion Team in a Train the Trainer workshop to both prepare teachers to deliver high Ratio lessons and to prepare leaders to deliver high quality training on techniques that can boost Ratio in the classroom.
The workshop describes techniques from the newly released Teach Like a Champion 3.0 for building the foundation of knowledge that’s critical to boosting Ratio and then examines three pathways teachers can follow to increase breadth of participation and depth of thinking: Writing, Discussion, and Questioning. Participants will leave equipped to train teachers on how to achieve the twin goals of students participating fully and thinking deeply.
Our remote workshop series is broken up into five 90-minute sessions conducted on Zoom. The following shows our most frequent remote workshop line-up, though again, we may modify the order and focus of each day, dependent on our group’s needs, timing, and facilitator decisions.
April 8, 2024 – 12:00pm – 1:30pm (EST)
April 9, 2024 – 12:00pm – 1:30pm (EST)
April 10, 2024 – 12:00pm – 1:30pm (EST)
April 11, 2024 – 12:00pm – 1:30pm (EST)
April 12, 2024 – 12:00pm – 1:30pm (EST)
NOTE: Please be aware that this will be an interactive session for all participants. We will ask you to be visible on your cameras and to participate by discussing with colleagues, sharing responses (sometimes in writing) to videos and reflection questions, and practicing.
WE WILL ANALYZE AND PRACTICE:
- Teach Like a Champion 3.0 techniques to increase Ratio through Writing: Everybody Writes, Front the Writing, Formative Writing and Developmental Writing
- Teach Like a Champion 3.0 techniques to increase Ratio through Discussion: Habits of Discussion, Turn and Talk
- Teach Like a Champion 3.0 techniques to increase Ratio through Questioning: Cold Call and Wait Time
- Tools to build and reinforce background knowledge
YOU WILL EXPERIENCE AND GAIN:
- A framework for analyzing student engagement in a classroom—Participation Ratio and Think Ratio.
- An understanding of the critical role of knowledge—the content prerequisite—In achieving Ratio
- Practice activities that will broaden teachers’ capacity to increase breadth and depth of participation in their classrooms
YOU WILL RECEIVE:
Schools will have the option to purchase the Implementation Toolkit License. The school leader will receive a link to download copies of all workshop materials, as well as additional training materials, including:
- A full description of all techniques and practice activities covered in the training
- A fully scripted PowerPoint deck used in the workshop
- All video clips shown and talking points for each clip
- Additional clips with complete talking points
- Aligned coaching tools and other materials to maximize teacher development
WHO SHOULD ATTEND:
Our workshops are a “Train the Trainer” model. We prepare instructional leaders and school leadership teams to deliver excellent training on Teach Like a Champion 3.0 techniques. Schools typically send a team of two to five instructional leaders and teachers in order to have several key team members responsible for turn-keying the work back at their campuses.
- Training Fee: $500 per person for the five 90 minute sessions – $100 non-refundable deposit due upon registration (deposit will be applied to the final invoice)
- Implementation Toolkit License fee: $1,000.00 per school for materials (optional), with signed license agreement.